Irish Organic Farmers & Growers Association
Demeter Standards Limited.
Nature of work:
To physically inspect farms and food processors seeking certification to produce organic food produce or products.
The EU regulation governing organic food production requires an annual inspection and occasional unannounced spot checks.
Following each inspection a report is prepared that highlights the compliance or otherwise of all aspects of the farming or processing operation.
Examples of farm enterprises inspected:
· Livestock (Dairying, beef, sheep, pigs, poultry, deer, equine)
· Arable (cereals, root crops, forage crops)
· Horticultural crops and enterprises
Examples of processing operations include:
· Dairy products
· Meat processing
· Animal feed compounding
· Milling and baking production
· Jam and preserve manufacture
· Box delivery schemes.
On each farm visit an assessment is made on the following topics:
· Soil management and cultivations
· Crop rotations
· Recycling of organic wastes and use of fertilising materials
· Weed, disease and pest control
· Environment management and conservation
· Environmental pollution/spraydrift
· Harvesting, storage, transport, labelling and packaging
· Livestock housing and diets
· Animal health and veterinary treatments
On each processor visit an assessment is made on the following topics:
· The processing operation from raw materials intake to dispatch of final product
· Recipes for organic products
· Certification of organic integrity of raw materials
· Ability to separate organic and non-organic operations and materials
· Traceability and control systems in place
· Records of goods inwards and outwards
· Pest control and hygiene procedures
· Labelling and packaging.
Following the visit to the farm or production premises a report is compiled that highlights the compliances and non-compliances of the operation and a recommendation is made to the Certification Panel of the Organic Certification Body.