Preparation of Training Courses and Material
Over the last ten years Paul has developed and edited course materials for a wide range of agricultural and horticultural subjects; including carry out sub-editing work for the Curriculum Development Unit of Teagasc (see case study). Also:-
- Paul worked on projects in Bulgaria and Slovakia where he prepared training materials and an educational booklet on the "Code of Good Practice for the Protection of Waters from Nitrites from Agricultural Activities" for use by local farmers.
- Here he also delivered a workshop on the implementation of the Nitrates directive to an audience comprising of local government authorities, regulators, agricultural advisory and educational bodies, farmer representatives and NGOs.
- Farmers participating in the Rural Environment Protection Scheme (REPS) are required to attend a 20-hour REPS training course to help them become familiar with environmentally friendly farming practices. Paul has prepared material and delivered different parts of such courses to farmers as part of his involvement with the REPS scheme.
The content of these courses includes the following topics:
- Waste management and fertilisation
- Grassland management
- Protection of watercourses and wells
- Retaining wildlife habitats
- Maintaining farm and field hedgerows, stone walls and boundaries
- Pesticide use
- Protecting historical and archaeological features
- Maintaining an acceptable visual appearance of the farm and farmyard
- Keeping farm and environmental records
- Supplementary measures (e.g. organic farming)
Case Study 8:Preparation of Training Courses and Materials
Click Here for additional information / useful links